Friday, July 30, 2010

Yikes! Where have I been lately?

I'll try not to make this post horrendously long, but I will preface it by saying a lot has happened since November of last year.

Where to begin?  I got ridiculously frustrated by my aftercare at the hospital where I had my Lap-Band surgery.  I ended up following in the footsteps of several of my other friend-patients and transferred to Centennial Medical Center, which I love.

I had another fill and my new doc is really good!  Even though my port has nearly flipped completely, he was able to get in and out faster than anyone that's ever tried to give me a fill to date.

Since the fill, I've been struggling.  I go from starving to stuck and sliming, which is not the ideal way to live.  What gives?  Why is this band such a beast for me?

Spring was quite fun for me, with travels to Texas and Boston, where I met up with many of my SWL friends.  But after the floods of May 2010, and getting back to reality, I realized I was sick of dealing with my band.  I want a revision to sleeve!

But . . . there's always a big butt.  I mean but.  I told myself that there would be no talk of revision until I made sure that I left no stone unturned when it came to my band.  Yeah, I know I'm having issues--is there anything I can do to fix them?  Give it the old college try and if nothing changes, THEN revision, here we come.

I went to a psychologist led group at Centennial, where I really liked the doc.  I signed up for private counseling sessions with her and within 20 minutes into the first session, she cocked her head and said, "Have you ever been tested for ADHD?"

(Brief pause where I smacked myself in the head and said I went to the psych clinic where I worked and BEGGED to be tested for ADHD, but was ignored and told I probably had some kind of underlying medical condition.  I hate doctors sometimes.)

One meeting with Dr. L and I was getting psych tests scheduled the next week, and two weeks later I was told some important things:

1.  I have Very Superior Intelligence™
2.  I have ADHD, Predominantly Inattentive Type
3.  Did I mention I was really smart?

Okay, I'm just goofing on the inflated ego from my IQ testing!  And the VSI is not really trademarked. It just looks more profound that way!


Long story short, the Lap-Band (or Realize Band) is NOT the ideal surgery choice for ADHD patients.  Who knew???  I found this out the hard way, after 15 months of struggling with essentially no significant weight loss after my surgery.  And a lot of sliming and puking.

Now that I know this and am getting my ADHD treated, things are changing.  And so will the direction of my blog . . . not just about surgical weight loss, but dealing with obesity and the ADHD brain.

Dealing with this has been a pain in the ass, but yet it's also fascinating.  I am more enthusiastic about life and my future now than I have ever been!

More stories to come . . .

2 comments:

Karen Butler Ogle said...

Welcome back to the blog, Denise! I've missed you!

Mareydenis said...

Thanks, Karen!

Just got on ADHD meds (been about a month) and I feel compelled to write! Gotta get it out.

I'm pleasantly surprised with that feeling, because normally I don't want to do much of anything. Depression, anxiety and ADHD will do that to you!

Maybe there's some kind of career down the pike for me where I can tie mental health issues and obesity . . . brainstorming with my therapist about that.

Congrats on starting school! It'll be tough, but I'm sure it'll be quite gratifying!