Friday, October 31, 2008

Give me this day, my daily meds



I got a call from the Bariatric clinic the other day. They had reviewed my new patient blood work and had come up with a list of vitamins I need to start. I have to take FIVE Citracal a day! Plus an extra 400 iu Vitamin D pill and the requisite sublingual B-12.

When you add all that to my regular meds for diabetes, allergies, cholesterol, GERD and my snort or inject meds, it's a lot. I graduated to the Old People sized pill sorter last year when I started on metformin. I may have to have a separate O.P. pill sorter for the calcium alone!

Funny thing was, when I was a teenager, I could not swallow pills at all. The thought made me gag. If I had a headache, I had to dissolve my aspirin in a teaspoon of water. Talk about gagging! But when I went on the pill when I was about 16, I had to learn how to swallow them. (Huh huh, learn to swallow) They were quite small and I was able to get them down. Now I have graduated to the horse pill, as I take two glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate for my joints. I might as well be swallowing eggs whole! Urrrp.

My ultimate goal is to get rid of some of those pills. My metformin. My glipizide. My simvistatin. The yippie fun injectable Byetta. The God forsaken glucosamine! The allergy stuff I'm stuck with, but I will gladly trade out a pile of vitamins for the diabetes meds any day!

No comments: