Thursday, April 16, 2009

My applesauce sandwich


After my lap band surgery last Monday, I had to figure out how to take pills. Fortunately, several of the meds I'm on can be taken in lozenge form and I've gone off of most of my diabetes pills.  But the rest need to be taken and I've had to crush them.  Can you say, "ICK!"?

It took me a few days to come up with a solution to the problem that didn't leave me cringing.  Here's my applesauce sandwich:
  • cover the spoon with a thin layer of applesauce
  • layer the crushed pills on top of the sauce
  • cover the pills with another layer of applesauce, kind of encapsulating it
  • add a dash of cinnamon on top
I take the pills like shot of booze:  aim for the back of the throat and let it slide.  If you don't mix it with your tongue, you taste very little. Just the texture of the applesauce and the cinnamon.  The icky tasting meds stay in the middle and away from your tongue.

I'm not sure how long I'll have to keep crushing pills, but at least this has made it so I don't dread it!


No comments: