Thursday, April 23, 2009

So many transitions

I am really pleased with post-op life with my Lap-Band.  Every time I turn around, there's another little victory.  A new accomplishment.

Take for example yesterday:  I put on my Body Bugg, as I love to track numbers.  It keeps track of calorie burn (theoretically), steps taken (quite accurate) and cumulative time spent moving. For some reason it wouldn't activate.  I couldn't figure it out.  What gives?  I just changed the battery and everything!

I figured it out on the drive to work.  I had lost enough weight in my upper arm that the contacts weren't in contact with my skin anymore! I tightened the arm band and it worked.  Last night, in the transition world, I changed the arm band to the NORMAL SIZED ONE!  It was just too tight to use when I first got my bugg last year.  Now I can wear it with room to spare.

Another transition, which I am quite pleased with, is my transition from morbidly obese to obese!  I am no longer morbidly obese!  Take that, fat cells!  Mwaahahahaha!  Technically I am severely obese (BMI 39.6), but when I drop my BMI just a few more points, I'll progress to Just Plain Obese.  Oh yeah, there will be much partying that day!

For reference purposes, here are the classifications of obesity based on BMI:
  • Normal:  BMI from 18.5 to 24.9
  • Overweight:  BMI from 25 to 29.9
  • Obesity, Class I (Just Plain Obese, my technical term):  BMI from 30-34.9
  • Obesity, Class II (Severely Obese):  BMI from 35 to 39.9
  • Morbidly Obese:  BMI > 40
  • Super Morbidly Obese:  BMI > 50
With weight loss this week from starving all day and adding walking to my routine, I have dropped from Morbidly Obese to Severely Obese! (trumpet fanfare interlude)  Obviously, I'm working my way down to normal (BMI less than 25), but that's going to take time.

But to remind myself of how far I have come, my BMI when I started this journey was nearly 47!!!  So I'm down 8 points already.  Off to a very good start.  I just had a bad shudder realizing I was only 3 points away from being super morbidly obese.  Wow.  Can you say, "Reality check?"

Speaking of all these transitions, it seems my stomach muscles have healed well enough for me to relinquish the potty chair.  Sigh.  Back to big girl toilets for me.

No comments: